Huasco Valley ECOlogical and ECOnomic
Discover the Huasco Valley - where the desert surprises ...
Two active tours moving around by bicycle, on foot and using public transport taking care of our environment as well as of our wallets.
Starting/ending point: Vallenar Capacity: 1 to 8 participants Season: possible during the whole year
ECO-coast (public transport and on foot):
Get to know what characterizes the coastal sector of this beautiful valley.
Our first stop is in Freirina – a picturesque town full of history. Here we visit the town square with its two national monuments. From Monday to Friday we also can enter to the museological room and immerse ourselves in this particular mining world of the past centuries. In Huasco Bajo we walk below ancient olive trees that reach an age of almost 500 years, we learn about olive growing and its history in the valley and we taste olives and the special olive oil which has designation of origen in the Huasco Valley.
In the small port of Huasco we walk along its immense beach and its dunes until reaching the place where the Huasco River meets the Pacific Ocean and where we can observe a great variety of resident and migratory birds.
Tour includes: Spanish speaking tour guide during the whole day, site tour “Olivos Centenarios” guided by a family member with olive- and olive oil tasting, 1 snack and mineral water p/p, public transport
Additional options during the day:
- brief visit to the sales room of “Payantume” – a recognized family enterprise of olive oil production and exportation
- purchase of local made cheese, typical products and handicrafts
- during Summer it’s possible to take a brief bath in the sea
Hikes: 10 km approx. Difficulty: easy-medium
ECO-valley (public transport, by bicycle and on foot):
In the calm and sunny Andean foothills we move along the Tránsito River. In La Arena we visit a craft-workshop where ethnic jewellery is made with silver and copper. El Tránsito is the main village of the valley. Here we visit the idyllic village square with its ancient trees and a pottery workshop of local women.
We cycle and walk on the river shore and through different villages where you can apreciate native flora and fauna, paleontological vestiges, fruit crops, typical manners of construction using materials of the environment and further you’ll learn about the particular history of this valley.
Tour includes: Spanish speaking tour guide during the whole day, bicycles with equipment, 1 snack and mineral water p/p, public transport
Additional options during the day:
- purchase of seasonal fruits from family orchards
- acquisition of the typical “pajarete” (desert wine) with designation of origen in Atacama and Coquimbo Region
- eat a typical “helado de nieve” (snow-icecream) or sweet pastery of the valley
- during Summer it’s possible to take a brief bath in the river
Hikes: max. 9 km Difficulty: easy-medium
Cycling: 7 km approx. Difficulty: easy-medium
In both tours there’s considered time for lunch – lunch is not included in the price.
You should bring:
- comfortable and suitable shoes and clothes for walking and/or cycling as applies (+ windbreaker jacket for ECO-coast)
- bathing suit and towel who likes to take a bath (during Summer)
- small backpack
- sun protection (sunhat, sunglasses, sunblocker)
- desire to experience
Price per person including tax: 20000 CLP
additional price to realice the tour with only 1 participant: 8000 CLP
additional price for English- or German speaking guide: 2500 CLP per person
Don’t miss it !!!